Follow up from yesterday's virtual discussion

From: "Andrea Levandowski alevandowski@PROTECTED [NJLibsGrowBiz]" <NJLibsGrowBiz@PROTECTED>
Subject: Follow up from yesterday's virtual discussion
Date: October 30th 2020

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone who was attend yesterday’s NJLibsGrowBiz Virtual Discussion.  And thanks to Joan Divor for sharing insights from SCORE and sparking very interesting conversation.

The recording is available here: https://youtu.be/KzaNG600KX4

We will have one more meeting in 2020, which will feature another speaker from SCORE.  Our focus will be SCORE’s resources for Hispanic business owners. Please stay tuned for the date and time.

Here are a few notes from yesterday:

·       SCORE has not seen a decrease in mentoring requests during COVID, although they types of questions have changed over time

o   Approximately half are from startups and half are from established businesses

o   Earlier in the year, there were questions about PPP and other COVID-related topics, but now there are more inquiries about loan forgiveness and less about COVID

o   Topics for established businesses include: financing, taxes, marketing, contracting, budget/cash flow, international trade, and funding for nonprofits

o   Topics for startups include: competitive research, intellectual property and patents, market research, and government regulations

·       Although COVID has affected business dramatically, it is still a time for business growth and development, including identifying new markets and refocusing on ecommerce (Joan shared an example of an art gallery now expanding its client base)

·       We discussed conducting market and demographic research with Google, Facebook ads, and Reference Solutions (formerly ReferenceUSA). There are strengths and weaknesses to each approach

·       Joan has participated in training to lead mastermind groups and is exploring this as an opportunity to help startups (specifically entrepreneurs 50+) set goals, follow through, and support one another

·       Some resources we discussed:

o   Success Alliance: https://www.thesuccessalliance.com/

o   Business Model You: https://businessmodelyou.com/

o   P2PU: https://www.p2pu.org/en/

·       East Brunswick Public Library is offering a Reference Solutions series and the Take a Business Break series (https://www.ebpl.org/brc/business-personal-classes.cfm)

·       Candid announced that FDO Essential, a database where nonprofits can research grant funding, would be available remotely in 2021 through Funding Information Network (FIN) partners that choose to provide access.

o   Users are encouraged to reach out to their local FIN to see if they’re providing FDO Essential. To find the closest FIN location, go to https://candid.org/find-us.

o   The NJSL will be offering a Finding Grant Funding with FDO Essential class on December 15th that anyone can sign up for at https://www.njstatelib.org/event/webinar-finding-grant-funding-with-fdo-essential-2/.  If anyone has questions, they can email Leigh Clark at lclark@PROTECTED.

·       GrantStation may also be free, and if you already subscribe, you should reach out directly to see if discounts are available

As always, if I missed anything or if anyone has clarification, please let me know.

Best,

Andrea

Andrea Simzak Levandowski (she/her/hers)

Library Consultant for Small Business Development & Technology

New Jersey State Library

P.O. Box 520

Trenton, NJ 08625

(609) 278-2640 x190

alevandowski@PROTECTED

  • This mailing list is announce-only.

A listserv requested by Andrea Levandowski that will include a group of librarians on business services in libraries. Created from ticket: 30367

Privacy Policy:

N/A