FW: To share on NJSL Direct and LLNJ

From: "Andrea Levandowski alevandowski@PROTECTED [NJLibsGrowBiz]" <NJLibsGrowBiz@PROTECTED>
Subject: FW: To share on NJSL Direct and LLNJ
Date: November 13th 2020

Hello all,

One last call for the Doodle poll to select our next meeting date: https://doodle.com/poll/xwan4iw8mu7n7muc?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link

Here are a few updates and news items that may be of interest:

·       Referenda Round-Up: 2020 Final Report - In the 2020 election year, American Libraries and the Public Library Association tracked more than 100 library-related referenda across 27 states.

·       Despite Covid Concerns Library Measures Do Well At Polls in 2020

·       Open To Changed Libraries Pivot To Serve Small Businesses

·       Making A Promise: Harmon, Bracken Vow Initiative To End Economic Inequity In NJ Will Be Pursued With Vigor

·       NJ Chamber of Commerce- Covid19

·       Murphy Adds Another 60M To Small Business Emergency Assistance Grant Program

·       NJEDA Launches Phase 2 Of PPE Access Program

·       Open To Change: Libraries Catalyze Small Business Adaptation To Covid19

Zoom Roundtable on Virtual Library Services for Jobseekers

Please Share Your Experiences in our Zoom Roundtable on Virtual Library Services for Jobseekers

Suddenly Virtual – Library Edition

The John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University and the New Jersey State Library are hosting a series of Roundtables to have an open discussion about the challenges libraries have faced in transitioning operations to a virtual environment and review all the innovative ways local libraries have responded to the COVID-19 pandemic. During the sessions, we will:

·       Share the results of the Heldrich Center’s review of all NJ library websites

·       Review standout library practices and innovative programming

·       Discuss challenges, opportunities, and strategies for serving patrons virtually, especially for services geared towards job seekers

·       Identify needs and potential solutions to obstacles facing local library staff

Explore opportunities to share resources across individual libraries on an ongoing basis to address patron needs in the virtual environment for the longer-term.

Please join us to share your experiences, ask questions, and discuss how we can work together to meet the challenges ahead. The sessions will last approximately 90 minutes to allow time for robust conversation. Click on a link below to register for one of the sessions:

·       Tuesday, December 1 from 2:00-3:30pm – Register here

·       Thursday, December 3 from 10:00-11:30am – Register here

·       Friday, December 4 from 1:00-2:30pm – Register here

--

On November 5th, the Governor’s Office forwarded the State Library’s list of awardees to the State Legislature. To see the Governor’s press release, click here. On November 9th, the General Assembly introduced bill number A4942, which would appropriate $87,444,690 from “New Jersey Library Construction Fund” to provide grants for construction, reconstruction, development, extension, improvement, and furnishing of New Jersey’s public libraries. As of November 10th, the Senate introduced the companion bill S3176. Once both houses approve the appropriation and the governor signs the bill into law, the State Librarian will send grant award letters to the successful applicants.

The State Library will not be able to respond to questions on the Bond Act until after the State Library’s grant award notifications have been received by the awardees.

Find all New Jersey Library Construction Bond Act updates here.

--

Introducing the New Jersey Career Network Jobseeker Community

As part of the New Jersey Career Network project, the team at the John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University has been working on the NJCN Job Seeker Community, which is a FREE online community designed to connect job seekers with other job seekers as well as volunteer coaches.

The NJCN Job Seeker Community is at a point now where it is expanding and diversifying its community membership. The Heldrich Center team is asking whether NJ libraries can share the NJCN Job Seeker Community as another resource to promote for job seeker services.

The NJCN Job Seeker Community creates another access point for individuals to connect with other people, events, and information to help them in this tumultuous economic situation.

Attached is a flyer with information that can be shared with jobs seekers at your library.

NJCN JSC Flyer

Below are a few testimonials about the NJCN Job Seeker Community:

·       “Great resources for someone in transition."

·       “What a great community and the people are inspiring and kind. They care and want to help you and educate you. I am grateful for this and thanks so much!”

·       “It's been a great resource, providing daily affirmation and inspiration as I continue to look for my next opportunity.”

·       “It's great to know that there are other people in the support groups who experience the same feeling I do and aren't afraid to share that with me.”

Best,

Andrea

Andrea Simzak Levandowski (she/her/hers)

Library Consultant for Small Business Development & Technology

New Jersey State Library

P.O. Box 520

Trenton, NJ 08625

(609) 278-2640 x190

alevandowski@PROTECTED

  • This mailing list is announce-only.

A listserv requested by Andrea Levandowski that will include a group of librarians on business services in libraries. Created from ticket: 30367

Privacy Policy:

N/A