On January 21 at 11am, Megan Janicki from ALA will present on her white paper, “Open to Change: Libraries, Small Businesses, and the COVID Crisis.” Here is the link to register: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_1yxRPvrDS3eBITMGyU5Wxw
In this session, join Megan Janicki, one of the co-authors of the paper, and the project manager for Libraries Build Business, to hear about some of the innovations in the small business world and what libraries can do to support their business communities. Ms. Janicki will also share updates on the Libraries Build Business initiative, which will be expanding the peer learning network in mid-2021. ALA and Libraries Build Business are looking for stories from the field, so please come ready to share your experiences with business services during COVID-19 and the experiences of small businesses and entrepreneurs in your community.
Here are other updates:
· ROI-NJ: Bill that would let EDA invest in Jersey businesses harmed by emergencies clears committee
· NJBIZ: Murphy, top lawmakers strike deal on economic incentive package
· NJ Chamber of Commerce: Need PPE? EDA announces big discount (up to 70% off) for small businesses, nonprofits
· American Libraries: Natalie Portman Will Be National Library Week Honorary Chair: Award-winning actor to spotlight libraries' essential role in communities
· Library Journal: Visions of Success: Academic Libraries in a Post COVID-19 World
· Public Libraries Online: Open to Change: Libraries Pivot to Serve Small Businesses
Reference Solutions Webinars 2021
The New Jersey State Library has created a new form for libraries to fill out if they are interested in hosting a Reference Solutions webinars for jobseekers or businesses in January-March 2021. These webinars would be available for anyone to attend statewide. Submissions will be collected weekly and scheduled as quickly as possible. If you have any questions, please contact Nayomi Torres-Velez or Andrea Levandowski. https://www.njstatelib.org/2020-virtual-reference-solutions-program-request-form/
If libraries are interested in hosting a one-on-one session only for their library staff or for their library patrons only, please contact Bill Carlson directly.
Taxation University is open for business in 2021!
We are available to conduct live virtual small business workshops hosted by your library between March 1st and May 31st. We will also offer recorded virtual workshops in Spanish. Please note we changed the format of our workshops to be shorter and more practical for individuals working remotely. Openings are limited and will be filled on a first come basis.
As we transition to virtual seminars, please be aware of the following:
· We can participate in virtual seminars hosted by your library through Zoom, Microsoft Teams, GoToMeeting, or similar platforms.
· We can answer attendee questions (during the presentation, or after via email), but we cannot discuss specific taxpayer account because of State and federal confidentiality laws.
· The session may be recorded for private use. However, we do not allow the public posting of videos featuring Division personnel on commercial platforms such as YouTube.
To schedule an event, please contact Taxation University at Outreach.tax@PROTECTED
New Jersey Sales & Use Tax Workshop
· Understanding New Jersey’s Sales & Use Tax
· Out-of-State Sales
· How to File and Pay Sales & Use Tax returns
· How and When to Use Exemption Certificates
· Urban Enterprise Zones
· Sales Tax for Online Businesses
o Law Changes affecting Online Sellers
o The Sales Tax Implications for common charges/fees (e.g. digital property, shipping & handling, etc.)
Business Registration & Reporting Business Income Workshop
· Reporting and Paying tax on Business income
o Determining if a tax return is required at the business level
o Paying tax on the income
§ At the business level and/or
§ At the personal tax level
Andrea Simzak Levandowski (she/her/hers)
Library Consultant for Small Business Development & Technology
New Jersey State Library
P.O. Box 520
Trenton, NJ 08625
(609) 278-2640 x190
Start a new thread, email:
A listserv requested by Andrea Levandowski that will include a group of librarians on business services in libraries. Created from ticket: 30367