The Whippanong Library in Whippany has an immediate opening for a Storyteller. The Storyteller will keep young children engaged and returning. The candidate must have experience working with young children, organizing children’s STEM and non-STEM programs, and working in a library or similar setting.
While virtual for the foreseeable future there is only one weekly storytime session. The Storyteller organizes and performs the storytimes, creating a positive library experience via stories, song, movement, and light crafts. When the Library is able to have onsite storytimes there will be three age-appropriate storytime sessions, newborns through pre-K.
Responsibilities are, but not limited to:
- Organize, arrange, and lead programs for newborn through grade 3. For up to grade 3 special programs throughout the year, and annual Makers Day. For Summer Reading Program organize, arrange, and lead STEM (primarily) and non-STEM programs and other activities.
- Budget oversight for programs and activities for newborn through grade 3
- Lead crafts and other activities for up to grade 3. Create craft kits
- Be back-up at the Circulation Desk
- Additional duties as assigned
- Must be reliable, organized, punctual, creative, patient, technically savvy, professional, pleasant demeanor, able to work independently and as part of a team, is comfortable with technology, and flexible and reliable regarding responsibilities and schedule. Must be experienced with Zoom hosting and taping and posting on YouTube. Be able to bend, kneel, and stretch
Work shifts are Monday evening 5-8, Tuesday morning 9:30-12, one additional morning or afternoon for storytime or program prep or leading a program. Approximately 9 hours/week. Potentially other shifts as assigned or as needed by Library.
How to Apply
Email a brief cover letter, resume and three references to Rochelle Levin at ...@whippanong.org" style="color: #2199e8; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3; margin: 0; padding: 0; text-align: left; text-decoration: none;">dire...@whippanong.org with Storyteller in the subject line. No phone calls or faxes.
Sharon Rawlins, MLS, she/her/hers
Youth Services Specialist for Lifelong Learning
NJ State Library
185 West State St.
P.O. Box 520
Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
...@njstatelib.org" style="color: #2199e8; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3; margin: 0; padding: 0; text-align: left; text-decoration: none;">sraw...@njstatelib.org
609-278-2640 ext. 116
609-278-2650 – fax
This mailing list requires approval from the List Owner, before subscriptions are finalized.
Start a new thread, email: ...@njstatelib.org">
NJSL Youth Services Discussion List