Dear TBBC Members:
Happy New Year to you! We are pleased to announce that the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI) is continuing the Library Equal Access Program (LEAP) for 2018 for New Jersey residents 55 and older who have a change in vision.
FREE iPad and computer training classes will be provided by Advancing Opportunities and will be held this Spring, March through June. Note that the following libraries will ALSO offer summer classes (July through October): Atlantic County – Mays Landing, South Orange and Toms River.
To register & find the schedule of Spring & Summer classes, please call Advancing Opportunities, Assistive Technology Services, 888-322-1918, extension 501. At the phone number, you will receive voicemail. In your phone message, please leave your name, preferred phone number and the best time to reach you. If you have a cellphone, leave that number as well. Please be aware that there is much interest in these classes, so the volume of calls and emails will be high. It may take several days for your message to be returned.
Here is a list of the classes offered:
• Introduction to Computers & Accessibility (one class per week for 4 weeks; each class is 1.5 hours): Are you new to using computers? Have you used them in the past but not for several years? Have you heard that there is software to help you see & hear the computer, but have not used it? In this beginner class, you will learn basic computer terminology, learn basic mouse and keyboarding skills as well as how to navigate your computer. You will receive an introduction to the software available on these computers to help you see & hear the computer. • iPad Class – Basics (one class per week for 6 weeks; each class is 1.5 hours): Have you heard about the iPad but are not sure what it is? Do you have an iPad but are not sure how to use it? In this beginner class you will receive an introduction to the iPad. In addition, you will be introduced to accessibility features on the iPad, such as Zoom and Voice Over (Apple’s built-in screen reader), to access the iPad. iPads will be available for use in class. However, if you have your own iPad or iPhone, feel free to bring it with you. The accessibility features on the iPad and the iPhone are the same. • iPad Class – Intermediate (one class per week for 4 weeks; each class is 1.5 hours): iPad experience is a prerequisite for this course. In this intermediate class, you will build on your basic iPad skills to learn more about the accessibility features and assistive apps available to you. iPads will be available for use in class. However, if you have your own iPad or iPhone, feel free to bring it with you. The accessibility features on the iPad and the iPhone are the same.
Classes will be held at these nine public libraries in New Jersey. All of these libraries are NJ Transit Access Link stops:
• Atlantic City Library, 1 N Tennessee Ave, Atlantic City (between Atlantic Ave & Arctic Ave) • Atlantic City Library – Richmond Ave branch, 4115 Ventnor Avenue, Atlantic City (between N Richmond Ave & N Windsor Ave). iPad Classes only will be offered at the Richmond Ave branch and will be held in the Spring, March through June. • Atlantic County Library– Mays Landing branch, 40 Farragut Ave., Mays Landing (between Main St & River Rd)
• Johnson Public Library, 274 Main St, Hackensack (between East Camden St & East Salem St)
• Cherry Hill Public Library, 1100 Kings Hwy N, Cherry Hill (between Paradee Lane & West Tampa Ave)
• Newark Public Library, 5 Washington St, Newark (between Broad St and James St) • South Orange Public Library, 65 Scotland Rd, South Orange (between Comstock Place & Taylor Place)
• East Brunswick Public Library, 2 Jean Walling Civic Center, East Brunswick (cross street is Ryders Lane)
• Morristown & Morris Township Library, 1 Miller Rd, Morristown (between South Street & Maple Ave)
• Ocean County Library – Toms River, 101 Washington St, Toms River (between Allen St & Robbins St)
We are pleased to make you aware of this training opportunity from CBVI. If you have questions about the LEAP Program, please feel free to call Mary Kearns-Kaplan at TBBC at 800-792-8322, extension 834. Enjoy this wonderful opportunity sponsored by CBVI.
Adam Szczepaniak, Director
This mailing list is announce-only.